Department of Psychiatry was initially started in 1974 at Santokba Durlabhji Memorial Hospital. It offers comprehensive mental health, substance abuse, behavioral medicine and intervention programs. The department provides the wide range of services thorough psychiatry assessment and treatment is provided for the entire range of psychiatric and psychological problems of children, adults and geriatric population and patients with substance abuse like Tobacco, Alcohol, Opioid, Cannabis, Sleeping pills etc.
Common Psychiatry Services:
· General Adult Psychiatry: Deals with problems or diseases like Depression, Anxiety Disorders, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Phobias, Medically Unexplained Physical Symptoms, Schizophrenia, Bipolar Affective Disorder, Various sleep disorders,
· Child and Adolescent Psychiatry: Deals with all emotional, neurodevelopmental, behavioural and other psychological disorders/problems like Poor academic performance, Autism, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Conduct Disorder, Anger, Learning Disabilities/Dyslexia, Intellectual Disabilities/Mental Retardation, Bed Wetting, Eating Disorders etc.
· Geriatric Psychiatry: Behavioral and psychological problems in Various Dementias/memory disturbances, late life Depression and Anxiety etc.
· De-Addiction Services: Comprehensive management of Nicotine, Alcohol, Cannabis, Opioid, Glues, Cocaine and Sleeping pills addiction etc.
· Male and Female Sexual Disorders: Like Premature Ejaculation, Nocturnal emission, Difficulty in sexual desire, Difficulty in Erection and Ejaculation, Gender Identity Disorders etc.
· Youth Wellness Programme for Adolescents: This program operates with the aim of empowering young people for life success through life skills-based education. This program helps students channelize the energies into the positive direction. The program is beneﬁcial for youth to increase their knowledge, to develop values and good attitudes.
· Psychotherapy/Counseling: Psychotherapy aims to increase each individual's well-being and mental health, to resolve or mitigate troublesome behaviours, beliefs, compulsions, thoughts, or emotions, and to improve relationships and social functioning. It involves sessions (one-to-one & groups).
· Training for Psychology interns
· Indoor admission facilities will be starting soon
Common Psychiatry Procedures includes:
· Psychological Testing like IQ assessment, Diagnostic Psychometry, TAT, Personality Assessment, Various psychological scales
· Stress management, work-related or exam related
· Detailed Psychiatric evaluation and Psychoeducative psychotherapy
· Cognitive Behavior Therapy
· Psychotherapies, Interpersonal Therapy, Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy
· Marital Therapies/Counseling, Premarital Counseling
· Anger Management
· Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS) Therapy
· Biofeedback Relaxation Therapy