Dr. P.K. Sethi, recipients of Raman Magsaysay Award (1981) and Rotary International Award (2001) for design and development of Jaipur foot and low weight thermoplastic callipers started the department in 1985.
The centre has been collaborating with different agencies like DST, Govt. of India, ICRC, IITs etc. through research projects on low weight thermoplastic orthosis and polypropylene prosthetic technology. The Centre is regularly sharing the knowledge and technical know-how with teams of technicians, doctors and researchers from countries like Mozambique, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Cambodia and Angola etc.
In 2008, Dr. Anil Kumar Jain, MD, DNB (Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation), the close associate of Late Dr. P.K. Sethi, of twelve years, took this Department to newer horizons.
The Centre is working in association with US universities in a project funded by National Science Foundation for improvisation of Jaipur foot.
The centre has been organizing free Outreach Camps with facilities for examining, prescribing and measuring/fitting of the needed prosthesis and orthosis within 150 Kilometers surrounding Jaipur.
The smiles of our patients have been our rewards to cherish, thought the efforts have also been appreciated by the Rotary International, Time Wellness, Jiv Daya Foundation (Texas, USA) and many other social leaders.
· Prosthesis (Artificial limbs)– All types of the lower limb and upper limb prosthesis using internationally recommended materials and fabrication technology (Jaipur foot). All designs are available from partial foot prosthesis to hip disarticulation prosthesis
· Orthosis (Artificial supports)– All types of spinal, upper and lower limb orthosis using low weight thermoplastics which are lightweight, comfortable can be used with shoes/foot wear of your choice.
· Treatment of bone, muscles and joints disorders like neck pain, back pain, joints and muscle pain.
· Looking after patient with locomotor disability due to amputations, poliomyelitis, cerebral palsy, spina bifida, spinal injuries head injuries, hemiplegics diabetes, arthritis, myopathies, delayed union and nonunion in fractures.
Physiotherapy (P.T.) & Occupational Therapy (O.T.) Section – managed by experienced staff.
Well equipped with all modern amenities like shortwave diathermy, ultrasound therapy, TENS, IFT, wax bath laser, cervical traction etc.
Special care is taken to provide all physiotherapy inputs to all types of surgery.
· Joint replacement
· Cardiac surgery
· Gastrointestinal surgery
· Plastic surgery
Special services available are
1. Relaxation therapy for stress management
2. Backcare regime
3. Cerebral palsy management
4. Pre and postnatal rehabilitation,
5. Sports injury rehabilitation
All are experienced in dealing with intensive care unit patients.
Occupational Therapy- (O.T.)
Treatment focuses on helping people with a physical, sensory or cognitive disability to become as independent as possible in all areas of their life. They can help kids with various needs to improve their cognitive, physical, sensory, motor skills, enhance their self-esteem and sense of accomplishment by using
· Sensory integration therapy with multiple skills.
· Group therapy.
· Craft and creative activities.
· Oral motor activities (feeding training).
· Handwriting training.